Harunur Rashid, Associate Professor of Environmental Sciences
Ph.D. in Marine Ecology, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
M.S. in Aquatic Resources Management, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh
B.S. in Fisheries (Hons), Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh
Joined AUW: August 2015
Coordinator, AUW Environmental Sciences Program: since 2015
CDIP Academic Advisor, Internship-for-Credit Program, Center for Career Development & International Program (CDIP), AUW: since 2016
Coordinator, CTS (Center for Teaching & Scholarship): since 2017
Member, AUW IRB (Institutional Review Board): since 2015
Member, AUW APC (Academic Policy Committee): since 2015
Permanent faculty member, Department of Fisheries Management, Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU), Mymensingh, Bangladesh: since 2000 – date.
PhD in Aquatic Ecology from Laboratory of Marine Biology, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan: in 2008
MS in Fisheries Resources Management from Faculty of Fisheries, BAU, Mymensingh, Bangladesh: in 2000
BSc in Fisheries (Honors) from Faculty of Fisheries, BAU, Mymensingh, Bangladesh: in 1999
Undergraduate Courses taught at AUW (from August 2015 – date):
Global Climate Change (Writing Intensive)
Coastal Development (Writing Intensive)
Environmental Challenges in Asia
Environmental Chemistry & Toxicology
Before joining AUW, Dr Rashid has taught a number of undergraduate and graduate courses offered by BAU Department of Fisheries Management and Interdisciplinary Centre for Food Security.
• Environmental Pollution & Toxicity
• Aquatic Ecology
• Conservation Biology
• Climate Change Impacts
• Project Coordinator, Bangladesh Component: Impacts of Aquaculture & Human Activities on Aquatic Environment in Bangladesh and Myanmar. Funded & lead by- Leibniz Center for Tropical Marine Ecology (ZMT), University of Bremen, Bremen, Germany. 2016 – 2017.
• Research Supervisor: Impacts of salinity intrusion on (stress) physiology of freshwater fishes in Bangladesh. Senior Thesis Project funded by AUW. 2015-17.
• Research Supervisor: Metal contamination in Drinking water and the prevalence of Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) in Vavuniya District, Sri Lanka. Senior Thesis Project Funded by AUW. 2016-17.
• Project Coordinator: Integrated management of crop-fish-water resources to enhance agricultural production systems towards sustainable food security in Bangladesh. Netherlands Organization for International Cooperation for Higher Education (NUFFIC), The Netherlands. Grant amount: 2.5 million euro. 2013-2016
• Co-investigator: Study of reproductive endocrinology of mud eel Monopterus cuchia for artificial propagation. Operational Fund for Research Projects under Research Grant of BARC. Bangladesh Agricultural Research Council, Dhaka (2012-2017). Grant amount: 2000000 BDT. Further Funded by BFRI from 2016-2017. Grant amount: 1500000 BDT.
1. Rashid H, Matsuyama M, Yamaguchi A. 2011. Gonadal sex differentiation and development in Japanese tiger puffer: role of aromatase isoforms. LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing GmbH & Co. KG. Germany. 116 pp.
2. Rashid H, Yamaguchi A, Matsuyama M. 2009. Masculinization of Torafugu, Takifugurubripes by Modulation of Aromatase activity. In: D Thangadurai, SG Hall, A Manimekalan, G Mocz (eds) Fisheries, Aquaculture and Biotechnology. Agrobios, India, pp. 149-166.
3. Sumon KA, Saha S, Van den Brink P, Peeters ETHM, Bosma RH, Rashid H. 2016. Acute toxicity of chlorpyrifos to embryo and larvae of banded gourami Trichogaster fasciata. Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part B. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03601234.2016.1239979
4. Sumon KA, Rico A, Horst MT, Van den Brink P, Haque MM, Rashid H. 2016. Risk assessment of pesticides used in rice-prawn concurrent systems in Bangladesh. Science of the Total Environment 568: 498–506
5. Shahjahan M, Kabir MF, Sumon KA, Bhowmik LR, Rashid H. 2016. Toxicity of Organophosphorus Pesticide Sumithion on Larval Stages of Stinging Catfish Heteropneustes fossilis. Chinese Journal of Oceanography and Limnology, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00343-016-5173-3
6. Samad MA, Mahmud Y, Adhikary RK, Rahman SBM, Haq MS, Rashid H. 2015. Chemical Profile and Heavy Metal Concentration in Water and Freshwater Species of Rupsha River, Bangladesh. American Journal of Environmental Protection 3(6): 180-186.
7. Sharmin S, Shahjahan M, Hossain MA, Haque MA, Rashid H. 2015. Histopathological Changes in Liver and Kidney of Common Carp Exposed to Sub-lethal Doses of Malathion. Pakistan Journal of Zoology 47(5): 1495-1498.
8. Siddiquee A, Rashid H, Islam MA, Ahmed KKU, Shahjahan M. 2015. Reproductive Biology of Great Snakehead Channa marulius from Sylhet Basin in the North East Bangladesh. Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science 10(4): 294-299.
9. Alam MJ, Shahjahan M, Rahman MS, Rashid H, Hosen MA. 2014. Effects of different kinds of fertilizers on production of fishes in polyculture system. International Journal of Agricultural Research, Innovation and Technology 4 (2): 16-21.
10. Alam MB, Islam MA, Marine SS, Rashid A, Hossain MA, Rashid H. 2014. Growth performances of gift tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) in cage culture at the Old Brahmaputra River using different densities. Journal of Sylhet Agricultural University 1(2): 265-271.
11. Apu JK, Rahman MS, Rashid H. 2012. Effects of Fish Population Densities on Growth and Production of Fishes. Progressive Agriculture 23 (1-2): 63-73.
12. Rashid H, Hasan MN, Tanu MB, Parveen R, Sukhan ZP, Rahman MS, Mahmud Y. 2012. Heavy Metal Pollution and Chemical Profile of Khiru River, Bangladesh. International Journal of Environment, 2(1): 57–63.
13. Hasin T, Rashid H, Haq MS. 2012. Feasibility of indigenous yellowtail catfish Pangasius pangasius culture in earthen ponds. J. Agrofor. Environ. 6 (1): 9-12.
Mollah MFA, Taslima T, Rashid H, Hossain Z, Sarowar MN, Khan MRK. 2011. Embryonic and larval development of critically endangered riverine catfish Rita rita. EurAsian Journal of BioSciences 5(13): 110-118.