Established in 2008, Asian University for Women (AUW) is an American-style liberal arts and sciences university in Chittagong, Bangladesh. The University provides pre-collegiate education for university entrance and an undergraduate program to educate the next generation of women leaders for Asia and the Middle East. To date, AUW has provided nearly 550 women with a quality higher education that includes leadership training, opportunities for professional development and mentoring. During their undergraduate study, students have the opportunity to major in Bioinformatics, Public Health; Environmental Sciences; Politics, Philosophy, and Economics; or Economics. Our aim is to graduate future leaders equipped with critical thinking skills, compassion, knowledge, and confidence. There are more than 700 students in the academic year 2017/18, representing 15 countries, over 35 ethnic groups and about 25 native languages.
Overview of the role:
The University Registrar is responsible for the effective and efficient management and administration of the University’s administrative operations, building, and facilities, human resources, IT, Security and support services. AUW is seeking to appoint a committed and energetic individual who will translate the University’s vision for growth into an operational plan. The University Registrar will be proactive and innovative in the development and delivery of strategic and business planning, leadership of university administration, will need to anticipate and deflect potential operational and strategic problems, to identify sound solutions to problems that arise and to implement decisions effectively. The University Registrar will command the respect of internal and external stakeholders and will be expected to work closely with senior officers and academics to ensure that the University’s operations, policies and relationships are supported and developed. The operational duties are wide-ranging and include overall management of all internal operations undertaken by the professional team and support staff. These cover: estates, facilities, IT and infrastructure management, human resources, admissions, marketing and communications, alumni relations and external relations, risk management and compliance.
Reporting to the Vice Chancellor, the University Registrar will oversee a range of services and functions supporting the academic administration, including
- Supporting and advising the Vice Chancellor and the academic leadership team on the development and implementation of the University’s strategy.
- Establishing effective operational systems and procedures.
- Overseeing the management of the operational systems and procedures and ensure that they are communicated and embedded in day-to-day practice.
- Directing the University’s internal operations including IT, HR, Visa and Work Permit for foreign students, faculty and staff, facilities, academic services, marketing and admissions, and ensuring effective co-ordination and communication with services.
- Assuring the quality of the University’s support services for both internal and external users.
- Being responsible, through appropriately configured lines of reporting, for the personnel management of all non-academic staff.
- Overseeing the development and maintenance of effective information and management systems throughout the University, and promoting efficient communications within and beyond.
- Ensuring all AUW policies and practices are compliant with relevant laws and rules of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh.
- Coordinating relations and conduct all requisite communications with the offices of the Government of Bangladesh, including Ministry of Education, Division of Economic Relations of the Ministry of Finance (regarding external financing), Ministry of Home Affairs (regarding visas, work permits, etc.), and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Serving as Secretary to the Board of Trustees.
AUW is looking for an experienced leader with the ability to think strategically, in context, to manage relationships and to take and implement important, complex and, sometimes, difficult decisions. The person appointed needs to have strong personal integrity and is required to take a high level of personal responsibility for both their own work and that of the staff under her/his management. Sound judgment under pressure, the ability to think laterally and creatively within a challenging and complex environment, and the intellectual capacity and strength of character to drive forward the University’s agenda are essential attributes. A sound appreciation of the academic environment and ability to operate effectively within a complex and nuanced decision-making context are also important.
- The successful candidate will need to be able to demonstrate a broad range of skills including: well-grounded analytical and creative skills,
- high intellectual capacity and excellent judgment,
- proven track record in senior management and the ability to develop and mobilise an effective team that delivers high-quality,
- business-focused support, outstanding leadership skills and ability to inspire confidence in the team.
- The ability to work in partnership with academic colleagues and experience in change management and the delivery of complex projects.
- Outstanding communication abilities, both oral and in writing, influencing skills, including negotiating, and being persuasive, orally and in writing.
- Significant experience in a senior position in a complex organization with HR responsibility.
- Sound working knowledge of the key functional areas of responsibility of the post.
- Demonstrable achievement in the areas of and HR management.
- Experience of leading complex change projects.
- Experience in using and overseeing IT systems to support complex operations.
- Experience of working effectively to deliver results with multiple stakeholders in a complex, environment.
- Experience of working within the higher education sector (or a directly comparable environment) would be a distinct advantage.
This is a full-time position with competitive salary and benefits such as accommodation, annual home travel and health insurance. Non-Bangladeshi citizens are eligible for income tax exemption in Bangladesh.
Interested applicants should send their CV’s along with Cover Letter detailing how their qualifications, skills, abilities and experience meet the specific requirements of the role, as outlined in the job description and two references (Name & Contact Information) addressing to Human Resource Department through E-mail: at email@example.com. Please mention the position applied on the subject line. Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.