The Asian University for Women (AUW)
, located in Chittagong, Bangladesh, invites applications for full-time volunteer fellows. AUW is seeking motivated individuals with excellent academic record and strong extra-curricular engagement to serve in a one-year Fellows program beginning in August 2018. AUW is also accepting Fellow applications for a January 2018 start.
The AUW Fellows Program is designed to place Fellows interested in supporting the mission of AUW and its academic and administrative programs in significant teaching and academic support positions at AUW, in order for them to gain valuable experience. Junior Fellows positions are open to recent graduates from accredited universities seeking professional development; Senior Fellows positions are open to applicants who hold a Master’s degree or a minimum of 2 years relevant work experience. Fellows usually work across different areas, as ESL Instructors, Writing Center tutors, teaching assistants in the Undergraduate Program, instructors for the Access Academy, supporting student co-curricular programs organized by the Office of Student Affairs (student activities, internships, career mentoring, etc). Fellows interested in research experience may also be assigned to the Center for Teaching and Scholarship.
Please state your interest(s) according to the following tracks:
- Science Instructor: The Access Academy preparatory year will be starting classes in Integrated Science and is currently seeking Fellows to teach Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science and Public Health.
- ESL or Math Instructors (Pre- Access Program): The Pre-Access program prepares students for the Access Academy by developing their English language competencies, critical thinking skills, and Mathematics. Many of the students come from economically challenged backgrounds and benefit from this year-long program to strengthen their language and math skills. Teaching is therefore challenging but very rewarding. In addition, students participate in a very active extra curricular program which plays a key role in their holistic development. Preferred qualifications include ESL or Math teaching experience and/or certification.
- Teaching Instructors (Access Academy): The Access Academy preparatory year offers classes in English, World Civilization and Math to prepare students for entering the Undergraduate program. Access Academy is currently seeking Fellows to teach computer literacy and a leadership seminar.
- Writing Tutors (Writing Center) work with individual students coming from a range of linguistic backgrounds to strengthen their academic writing skills, conduct in-class and general workshops on academic and creative writing, business & communication and study tips. Preferred qualifications include prior experience tutoring at a Writing Center or providing learning/writing support to non-native speakers of English, strong writing skills and experience writing in a variety of disciplines, excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Teaching Assistants support the Undergraduate Program in General Education Requirement, Economics, Environmental Sciences, PPE (Politics, Philosophy & Economics), and Public Health. Teaching support may include leading discussions, tutoring small groups or individual students, holding office hours, course administration and assisting with laboratory or fieldwork.
- Administrative/Student Services are seeking experienced Fellows to serve in a variety of areas, including Student Affairs, Communications, and in the Center for Teaching and Scholarship.
AUW Fellows reside on AUW campusfor a one-year period from August 2018- June 2019. The first two weeks of the program are dedicated to an orientation and intensive training in cultural, administrative, and pedagogical aspects relevant to the Fellows’ activities.
AUW Fellows will receive a monthly stipend (amount determined according to academic qualifications as a Junior or Senior Fellow), shared housing, meals at the AUW cafeteria, free local transportation to and from the University, and regional health insurance (excluding coverage in U.S.A.).
AUW Fellows are also provided with one round-trip air ticket from the closest major airport to Chittagong, Bangladesh, in the most direct and economic route.
Qualifications and Experience:
AUW seeks motivated individuals interested in acquiring experience in an academic environment and institutional operations, and who are flexible and can operate without extensive supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university;
- ESL or Math teaching, or experience in a Writing or Tutoring Center an advantage; and
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university OR Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and a minimum of 2 years relevant work experience;
- Specific relevant expertise, e.g. TOEFL or TESOL training, or experience in a relevant discipline or administrative area; and
- Work or teaching experience at a college or university.
- Evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socio-economic, religious and cultural backgrounds of an international community;
- Ability to be flexible with work assignments and work in a highly dynamic environment;
- Understanding of the challenges of working in Bangladesh/developing context.
- Cover letter stating your specific interest/s in the tracks described above, describing your potential contribution based on academic training and life experiences (1 page);
- Resume/CV (2 pages);
- Copies of university transcripts; and
- Names of two referees.
Interested applicants should send their Resume/CV and a Cover Letter detailing how their qualifications, skills, abilities and experience meet the specific requirements of the role, as outlined in the job description, and names and contact information for two referees to: Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications should indicate if s/he would like to be considered for a January 2018 or August 2018 start.
Please include your surname and the position in the subject line of the email submission. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.